Thursday, August 26, 2010

Why Is It Always West Virginia?

Photo by Norman Patrick Smith 2010


Taken outside a pawn shop in Parkersburg, WV. We are so proud!

I don't get it...there are other states that would be much more appropriate for this sign. Why is it always West Virginia that gets the rep for being home to a bunch of backwoods rednecks that marry their cousins? Why can't they pick on Kentucky? Four million people, five last names. I'm tired of being the butt of all those jokes! And how many times have you watched a show on TV and the antagonists are a white supremacist group from West Virginia?

But, much as we all hate to admit it, there is some truth to it all. West Virginia is a state where green jello salad with cottage cheese, pineapple and mini-marshmallows is one of the four basic food groups. I remember waiting with great anticipation for the Sunday dinner that composed of fried squirrel and squirrel gravy. And even though I've lived in Colorado for 35 years, I still don't wear shoes unless I have to! I take a bath from the rain barrel every time I visit my Grandma's farm and it's not a real trip "home" unless I've eaten a ton of pepperoni rolls.

So fine, go ahead and pick on us native Mountaineers. I dare ya! But just remember, those pickup trucks have a gun rack in 'em for a reason!

Be good to each other!

Ginny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note...come on, you know you want to!