Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mr. Virgo

I met my sweet hubby five years ago on match.com and it was the best $19.95 I ever spent! He's a much better fit than my other two. Now, that's not to say anything bad about the others but there's a reason I'm not still married to them, no? Case in point, we were browsing a jewelry store (sorry, ladies...I saw him first!) and something was said about my taste in sparklies. Dan smiled sweetly and said, "You know, sweetheart...it is all about you." I smiled back and said, "You know? You learned that a lot faster than any of my other husbands." God, I love him!

Dan earned the nickname "Mr. Virgo" not too long after we got together. It stems from his sense of organization which, being a Gemini, I sorely lack. When we go to a store, we have to turn right immediately inside the door, circle around the perimeter, then go up and down the aisles in order not to miss anything. I, on the other hand, am easily distracted by...oh my gosh, look at those gorgeous little strappy sandals and can you believe the price? After five minutes I can't remember what I came into the store for in the first place. And don't get me started on the cabinet doors or the pile of mail by the phone! Sometimes my husband takes offense at his nickname and thinks I'm being critical, but I'm not. If it weren't for his grounding influence, I might just float off like one of those balloons in the Macy's parade.

I think it was on our first date when Dan asked me if I had ever given any thought to opening a bed and breakfast. My jaw dropped! That is something I have always, always wanted to do. Well, that and be a stand-up comedian, but that's another story altogether. We've discussed it off and on the past five years and we had been in hopes we could do it here in Colorado. But, with the cost of real estate here, if we ever want to own property without a mortgage, it isn't going to be in this area. My heart has always been in West Virginia. There is something about the shades of green in those hills that can't be beat. And when you look out over the mountains they are sheathed in beautiful blues and purples. Maybe it's the artist in me, but my pallette needs more than the reds, browns, and grays of the Rockies. After visiting my home country last week, I am more convinced than ever that my feet need that West Virginia red clay under them. I will miss my family here, but there's something special about a trip to Nana and Papa's house, no matter where it is.

So, to my dear Mr. Virgo...you are my anchor and I love you with all my heart! This new adventure is going to be great fun and I promise...it really isn't all about me. (Well...maybe!)

Be good to each other!

Ginny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note...come on, you know you want to!